New technique can write your life history using Twitter!
Washington: Twitter users, beware! Your tweets can reveal your life history!
Researchers have developed a new technique that studies your tweets to identify the most significant events you have experienced and assembles them into an accurate life history.
The algorithm developed by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and Cornell University in Ithaca can sort out news of important events from entirely trivial details from Twitter streams.
Researchers Jiwei Li and Claire Cardie can use the algorithm to generate an accurate chronology of a person`s life-changing events, without knowing anything about them.
Li and Cardie test their idea by mining the streams of 20 ordinary twitter users and 20 celebrities over a 21 month period from 2011 to 2013.
They then asked the ordinary users to create their own life history by manually identifying their most important tweets, according to `MIT Technology Review`.
For the celebrities, Li and Cardie used Wikipedia biographies and other sources of information to create `gold standard` life histories manually.
When they compared these gold standard life-histories against the ones generated by their algorithm, their method had accurately picked out many important life events that are also identified in the gold standards.
However, the technique only works with users who tweet regularly and with enough followers to allow the algorithm to spot the unique pattern of responses that identifies important tweets.
Still, that is a significant number of people and Lie and Cardie said their technique can be broadly applied.
"It can be extended to any individual, (eg friend, competitor or movie star), if only he or she has a twitter account," the researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional