New UK centre to study science of cyber security?
London: Faced with increasing challenges to computer systems, Britain today announced the setting up of a new academic research institute at a cost of 3. 8 million pounds to improve understanding of the science behind the growing cyber security threat.
Called the Research Institute in the Science of Cyber Security, the centre is intended to be a virtual organisation and is part of a cross-government commitment towards increasing the nation`s academic capability in all fields of cyber security, official sources here said.
The institute will open for business on October 1, the sources added.
Research at the institute is expected to make it easier for businesses, individuals and government to take informed decisions about how to implement better cyber protection measures and safely benefit from the huge opportunities offered in cyber space.
Established by British intelligence agency GCHQ, the institute has several partners, including seven universities.
It will allow leading academics in the field of cyber security to work together and connect them with the collective expertise of industry security experts and international researchers in the field.
Francis Maude, Minister for Cyber Security said, "The UK is one of the most secure places in the world to do business - already 8 per cent of our GDP is generated from the cyber world and that trend is set to grow? But we are not complacent".
He added: "Through the National Cyber Security Programme we are putting serious investment into the best UK expertise to lead thought in the science of cyber.
"The UK`s first academic Research Institute will strengthen capability in a strategically important area, keeping the UK at the forefront of international research in the field".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!