New UK centre to study science of cyber security?
London: Faced with increasing challenges to computer systems, Britain today announced the setting up of a new academic research institute at a cost of 3. 8 million pounds to improve understanding of the science behind the growing cyber security threat.
Called the Research Institute in the Science of Cyber Security, the centre is intended to be a virtual organisation and is part of a cross-government commitment towards increasing the nation`s academic capability in all fields of cyber security, official sources here said.
The institute will open for business on October 1, the sources added.
Research at the institute is expected to make it easier for businesses, individuals and government to take informed decisions about how to implement better cyber protection measures and safely benefit from the huge opportunities offered in cyber space.
Established by British intelligence agency GCHQ, the institute has several partners, including seven universities.
It will allow leading academics in the field of cyber security to work together and connect them with the collective expertise of industry security experts and international researchers in the field.
Francis Maude, Minister for Cyber Security said, "The UK is one of the most secure places in the world to do business - already 8 per cent of our GDP is generated from the cyber world and that trend is set to grow? But we are not complacent".
He added: "Through the National Cyber Security Programme we are putting serious investment into the best UK expertise to lead thought in the science of cyber.
"The UK`s first academic Research Institute will strengthen capability in a strategically important area, keeping the UK at the forefront of international research in the field".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?