Newly developed optical fibres to drastically reduce Internet capacity crunch
Washington: A new type of optical fibre network, called multicore fibre-based network has been reportedly developed which aim to address the issue of the increasing Internet capacity crunch.
The researchers from the University of Bristol in collaboration with the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NCIT) have successfully tested the advanced multicore fibre based network, which will form the foundation for the future Internet infrastructure.
The research relies on Space Division Multiplexed (SDM) provided by the multicore fibres and on Software Defined Network (SDN) control, which are considered promising solutions to fulfil and control the ever-increasing demand for data consumption in communication networks.
The implemented OpenFlow interface dynamically configures the network nodes in a way that the network can deal more effectively with application specific traffic requirements such as bandwidth and Quality of Transport.
With the growing popularity of OpenFlow, this demonstration is believed to bring multicore fibre networks one big step closer to their practical realisation.
Researcher Dimitra Simeonidou, said that the success of new fibre technologies will be strongly governed by its applicability to optical networks together with an adequate control of all required network functions.
He further explained that SDN technology has been gaining attention as it enables network operators to easily adapt their network infrastructure to quickly changing user or application requirements and improve network efficiency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details