Newly developed optical fibres to drastically reduce Internet capacity crunch
Washington: A new type of optical fibre network, called multicore fibre-based network has been reportedly developed which aim to address the issue of the increasing Internet capacity crunch.
The researchers from the University of Bristol in collaboration with the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NCIT) have successfully tested the advanced multicore fibre based network, which will form the foundation for the future Internet infrastructure.
The research relies on Space Division Multiplexed (SDM) provided by the multicore fibres and on Software Defined Network (SDN) control, which are considered promising solutions to fulfil and control the ever-increasing demand for data consumption in communication networks.
The implemented OpenFlow interface dynamically configures the network nodes in a way that the network can deal more effectively with application specific traffic requirements such as bandwidth and Quality of Transport.
With the growing popularity of OpenFlow, this demonstration is believed to bring multicore fibre networks one big step closer to their practical realisation.
Researcher Dimitra Simeonidou, said that the success of new fibre technologies will be strongly governed by its applicability to optical networks together with an adequate control of all required network functions.
He further explained that SDN technology has been gaining attention as it enables network operators to easily adapt their network infrastructure to quickly changing user or application requirements and improve network efficiency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit