Newly developed optical fibres to drastically reduce Internet capacity crunch
Washington: A new type of optical fibre network, called multicore fibre-based network has been reportedly developed which aim to address the issue of the increasing Internet capacity crunch.
The researchers from the University of Bristol in collaboration with the National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NCIT) have successfully tested the advanced multicore fibre based network, which will form the foundation for the future Internet infrastructure.
The research relies on Space Division Multiplexed (SDM) provided by the multicore fibres and on Software Defined Network (SDN) control, which are considered promising solutions to fulfil and control the ever-increasing demand for data consumption in communication networks.
The implemented OpenFlow interface dynamically configures the network nodes in a way that the network can deal more effectively with application specific traffic requirements such as bandwidth and Quality of Transport.
With the growing popularity of OpenFlow, this demonstration is believed to bring multicore fibre networks one big step closer to their practical realisation.
Researcher Dimitra Simeonidou, said that the success of new fibre technologies will be strongly governed by its applicability to optical networks together with an adequate control of all required network functions.
He further explained that SDN technology has been gaining attention as it enables network operators to easily adapt their network infrastructure to quickly changing user or application requirements and improve network efficiency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves