News Corp mulls sale, spinout of MySpace
San Francisco: News Corp is exploring strategic options for its MySpace website including a sale or a spinout, the company said, a day after the former social networking high-flyer slashed nearly half of its staff.
News Corp, which paid $580 million for MySpace in 2005, believes a spinout would be the most logical route, a source familiar with the matter said. That option would likely entail someone from the venture capital or the private equity community investing in MySpace, thereby altering the current ownership structure, the person said.
The company launched a new version of the site in October centered on music, movies and entertainment for the 35-year-old-and-under crowd.
At an all-staff meeting, MySpace CEO Mike Jones announced that parent-company News Corp was exploring strategic options for the site, News Corp spokeswoman Julie Henderson confirmed. The news was first reported by Bloomberg.
"We are looking at a number of strategic options for the business, including a sale, merger or spinout," said Henderson. News Corp Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey had said in November that the company was exploring all options for MySpace, including a sale, and told investors that month that MySpace had quarters rather than years to turn itself around.
Once the top Internet social networking site, MySpace has been eclipsed in recent years by Facebook, which now counts more than 500 million users and was recently valued at $50 billion.
On Tuesday, MySpace announced that it was laying off 47 percent of its staff, or about 500 employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Brexit will put pressure on global growth: IMF deputy MD
- New survey lists out excuses Indians give to delay marriage – Check out
- Help me, I want to live: 11-year-old boy appeals to PM Modi
- Just found! Huge stash of ancient Helium in Africa's rift valley
- Not Ravi Shastri, but this man was Anil Kumble's biggest challenger for coaching job