Nicolaus Copernicus` 540th birthday celebrated with Google doodle
Mountain View (California): Continuing with its much feted trend, search giant Google on Tuesday came up a classy doodle to pay tribute to legendary astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus on his 540th birthday.
Copernicus is famously known for his theory that corrected the misconception of Earth being at the center of the universe.The doodle depicts a heliocentric astronomical model with the Sun at the center and all the other known planets of that time around it.
Copernicus was born 19 February 1473, in the city of Thorn in Poland.
It was in college and under the influence of mathematics professor, Domenico Maria de Novara that he became interested in astronomy and geography.
Later he became the man behind what is called the heliocentric revolution and which then was severely criticized. Martin Luther strongly condemned his theory that it’s the Earth that roams around a stationary sun.
He died in 1543, and it is believed that the first printed copy of his research was published on the day of his death and then posthumously over the years the genius got his due.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened