Now, a robot `boy` to help humans with everyday tasks
London: Scientists are designing a new ambitious robotic humanoid helper with artificial muscles to help people with everyday tasks.
Engineers at the University of Zurich`s Artificial Intelligence Lab hope that 1.2 metre tall Roboy, designed to look like a child, will help the sick and elderly by acting as a mechanical helper.
The research team is developing radical artificial `tendons` to help the robot move, the `Daily Mail` reported.
They have already signed up 15 project partners and over 40 engineers, and hope to fund the project using a combination of commercial partners and crowd-funding.
Researchers hope Roboy will become a blueprint for `service robots` that work alongside humans.
"Service robots are machines that are, to a certain extent, able to execute services independently for the convenience of human beings. Since they share their `living space` with people, user-friendliness and safety are of great importance," researchers said.
The project will use artificial tendons to develop Roboy within just nine months.
"Thanks to his construction as a tendon-driven robot modelled on human beings (`normal` robots have their motors in their joints), Roboy moves almost as elegantly as a human," the team said.
Work has also begun on Roboy`s hands, which will be covered with a soft `skin` to make it comfortable to the touch.
Roby will be unveiled in March 2013 at the Robots on Tour event in Zurich.
"Our aging population is making it necessary to keep older people as autonomous as possible for as long as possible, which means caring for aged people is likely to be an important area for the deployment of service robots.
"We can very safely assume that service robots will become part of our environment in the future, as is already the case today for technologies such as smartphones and laptops," said researchers. P
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed