Now, dictionary to help parents understand online chat lingo
London: Dece? Butters? Jank? Parents, if you have no clue about these words your kids frequently use online, a new dictionary may come to your rescue.
A digital dictionary that helps parents understand their kids` online banter has now been developed.
The dictionary gives parents an insight into the new generation of words used frequently on social networks and online chats.
For instance, it would tell you that dece means decent, jank means gross and butters is ugly, while naughty and savage are both words meaning good. Jelly is jealous, tekkers means skills and swag is confidence or style.
Derp stands for brain-damaged and prep for stuck-up, while words for stupid include blond, noob, dub, tool and basic.
Dr Claire Hardaker, Professor of Linguistics at Lancaster University, working with Disney, has translated passages from Romeo and Juliet and Oliver Twist into the language young people use online, `The Times` reported.
"Children have always been wonderful innovators who delight in creating new words - in the 60s and 70s, hip, whizzo and fab, in the 80s and 90s, gnarly and phat - and with young people increasingly communicating online, soaking up dozens of new words, slang language is evolving at lightning speed, particularly words of praise or insult," she said.
"Research suggests the ability to learn new language after our teens is drastically reduced, so it can be harder for parents to be attuned to the linguistic evolution that their children are actively driving forward.
"This can result in a mismatch between what they think their children are saying and what their language actually means," she said.
The dictionary has been set up by Disney`s Club Penguin, an online world with games and activities for children.
According to a survey by Disney, nearly two thirds of parents in the UK admit that they have a poor grasp of the language their children use online. Half do not regularly monitor their child`s online activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire