Now digital signature for mobile to become reality in India
New Delhi: Digital signature, possible now only through computers in India, will soon be provided through mobile phones.
Indian firm MobME Wireless Solutions has signed agreements with Netherlands-based Gemalto and Finland-based Valimo Wireless Oy, to provide digital signature services on mobile phones.
"With over 900 million mobile phone subscribers and 15 million broadband users, the mobile phone is the preferred platform for maximising the potential of digital signatures for a digital revolution in India," MobMe chief executive officer Sanjay Vijayakumar said in a statement.
MobME Wireless Solutions has bagged the technology rights to roll out mobile digital signatures that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has, in its guidelines, recommended as the preferred mode for secure log-ins and transactions.
The company signed the agreements in Paris Wednesday.
Digital signatures are highly recommended and backed by the IT Act in India and thus guarantee highest levels of security and legal validity.
However, the penetration has been limited to around three million users in the country having a population of over 1.2 billion, as till now it is used only through computer.
The biggest beneficiary of mobile digital signatures would be mGovernance services, as all government services need signatures by citizens while sending their applications to any government department.
"Convenient and highly secure, we foresee mobile digital signatures revolutionising the mGovernance landscape in India," Vijayakumar said.
Until now mobile governance (mGovernance) services are generally used for receiving information like exam results, agricultural alerts etc. which are basic services on SMS.
"With mobile digital signatures, farmers will be able to apply for agricultural schemes or birth certificate information can be entered from Primary Health Centres through mobile phones and certificates issued instantly on the ground," Vijayakumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000