Now, enjoy uploading videos on Wikipedia
Moscow: Wikipedia, the world`s largest online encyclopedia, has launched a new project enabling registered users to post videos, according to the portal`s press service.
"A new video player has been enabled on Wikipedia and its sister sites, and it comes with the promise of bringing free educational videos to more people, on more devices, in more languages," Wikimedia Foundation said Friday.
Wikipedia articles have remained largely text-based until now.
The video upload project, carried out in cooperation with open-source video start-up Kaltura and the Google search engine, was launched in 2008. But it was delayed due to numerous technical problems.
The new HTML5 player is a result of a combined effort between Wikipedia, Google and Kaltura.
Wikipedia, which sees 25 million unique daily visitors to its English section alone, currently hosts only about 15,000 videos.
The videos were added either via the older Ogg Theora player that has been in use since 2007 or as part of testing the new player, based on HTML5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Germany expects up to 300,000 migrants this year
- Kangana Ranaut flies to US to prepare for role in 'Simran'
- CIL strike: Government open to discussions, says Power Minister
- Khans of Bollywood hungry to do different roles: Shoojit Sircar
- Government may advance Parliament session to get GST laws approved