Now, enjoy uploading videos on Wikipedia
Moscow: Wikipedia, the world`s largest online encyclopedia, has launched a new project enabling registered users to post videos, according to the portal`s press service.
"A new video player has been enabled on Wikipedia and its sister sites, and it comes with the promise of bringing free educational videos to more people, on more devices, in more languages," Wikimedia Foundation said Friday.
Wikipedia articles have remained largely text-based until now.
The video upload project, carried out in cooperation with open-source video start-up Kaltura and the Google search engine, was launched in 2008. But it was delayed due to numerous technical problems.
The new HTML5 player is a result of a combined effort between Wikipedia, Google and Kaltura.
Wikipedia, which sees 25 million unique daily visitors to its English section alone, currently hosts only about 15,000 videos.
The videos were added either via the older Ogg Theora player that has been in use since 2007 or as part of testing the new player, based on HTML5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Jharkhand wants 5 more batallions of CRPF to fight Naxals
- UN can't verify incendiary bombs in Syria, concerned by reports
- Stop trafficking with a click! New TraffickCam app targets sex workers
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside