Now, enjoy uploading videos on Wikipedia
Moscow: Wikipedia, the world`s largest online encyclopedia, has launched a new project enabling registered users to post videos, according to the portal`s press service.
"A new video player has been enabled on Wikipedia and its sister sites, and it comes with the promise of bringing free educational videos to more people, on more devices, in more languages," Wikimedia Foundation said Friday.
Wikipedia articles have remained largely text-based until now.
The video upload project, carried out in cooperation with open-source video start-up Kaltura and the Google search engine, was launched in 2008. But it was delayed due to numerous technical problems.
The new HTML5 player is a result of a combined effort between Wikipedia, Google and Kaltura.
Wikipedia, which sees 25 million unique daily visitors to its English section alone, currently hosts only about 15,000 videos.
The videos were added either via the older Ogg Theora player that has been in use since 2007 or as part of testing the new player, based on HTML5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth