Now, Google Maps peers into Shackleton and Scott`s Antarctic huts
London: Web giant Google has posted pictures of Antarctic huts used by polar explorers Sir Ernest Shackleton and Robert Falcon Scott online as part of the latest extension of the Google`s Maps service.
The prefabricated wooden cabins were erected in 1908 and 1911 respectively, and were used as bases for the explorers’ attempts to reach the South Pole.
Google said it had carried out the fish-eye lens photography project to provide school children and others with an "insight into how these men lived for months at a time".
Users can navigate the 360-degree photographs to see some of the kit and supplies used by both expeditions.
According to the BBC, Shackleton``s hut is located at Cape Royds, where the explorer and nine other team members left their ship, the Nimrod, to stay during the winter and still houses about 5,000 of the team``s personal possessions, including books, clothing and canned food, which have been preserved by the cold temperatures.
Scott`s base at Cape Evans was erected three years later and still contains over 8,000 artifacts from his doomed adventure and many items of food abandoned when his team set out to the pole
Boxes of Tate sugar cubes, Heinz Tomato Ketchup bottles and clothing can be seen in the uploaded pictures from the location.
Scott and four others did reach the South Pole in January 1912, but found they had been beaten to the spot by a Norwegian expedition led by Roald Amundsen. The members of Scott`s party died of the freezing conditions during their return journey.
Shackleton`s expedition was the first to climb the volcanic Mount Erebus, but bad weather and diminished supplies forced them to turn back about 156km before reaching the South Pole.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata