Now, Google to give advantage to paid advertisers
Washington: Google will now change its free product search service into a paid one in a bid to generate more revenue from its search engine business, according to a report.
This means consumers in the US who click on Google Shopping will get search results for products such as shoes or handbags that are influenced by how much retailers pay.
In the past, product search results were mainly based on relevance or price, and retailers got free access to shoppers, The Los Angeles Times reports.
According to the paper, it is a big shift for Google, which in the past had resisted using paid instead of ‘organic’ listings.
The move could help Google compete with online retail giants Amazon and EBay, which dwarf the search giant in shopping-related searches.
Both companies advertise on Google`s search engine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!