Now, spin amplifier that works in room temperature
Washington: A team of physicists has been able to create world’s first spin amplifier that can be used at room temperature.
Spintronics - considered as the next big paradigm shift in the field of electronics - combines microelectronics, which is built on the charge of electrons, with the magnetism that originates in the electrons’ spin.
But turning theory into practice required amplifying these very weak signals.
Instead of transistors, rectifiers, and so on, the building blocks of spintronics will be formed by things like spin filters, spin amplifiers, and spin detectors.
Through regulating and controlling electron spin, it will be possible to store data more densely and process it many times faster – and with greater energy efficiency.
A Linkoping University group from the Department of Functional Electronic Material, led by Professor Weimin Chen in collaboration with colleagues from Germany and the United States, have published an article where they presented an effective spin amplifier based on a non-magnetic semiconductor.
“It’s an advance that blazes a trail for a solution to the problem of controlling and detecting electron spin at room temperature, which is a prerequisite for the breakthrough of spintronics,” Chen said.
The paper has been published in journal Advanced Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs