NYT claims Chinese hackers targeted its systems
New York: The New York Times has revealed that over the last four months, it has been repeatedly attacked by Chinese hackers, trying to infiltrate its computer systems and get passwords for its reporters and other employees.
The timing of the attacks coincided with the reporting for a Times investigation, published online on October 25, that found that the relatives of Wen Jiabao, China`s prime minister, had accumulated a fortune worth several billion dollars through business dealings.
According to the New York Times, security experts hired by them to detect and block the computer attacks gathered digital evidence that Chinese hackers, using methods that some consultants have associated with the Chinese military in the past, breached The Times`s network.
They broke into the e-mail accounts of its Shanghai bureau chief, David Barboza, who wrote the reports on Wen`s relatives, and Jim Yardley, The Times`s South Asia bureau chief in India , who previously worked as bureau chief in Beijing, the paper said.
According to security experts, the attackers first installed malware that enabled them to gain entry to any computer on The Times`s network.
The malware was identified by computer security experts as a specific strain associated with computer attacks originating in China.
According to the paper, security experts found evidence that the hackers stole the corporate passwords for every Times employee and used those to gain access to the personal computers of 53 employees, most of them outside The Times`s newsroom.
Experts found no evidence that the intruders used the passwords to seek information that was not related to the reporting on the Wen family, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'