Older folks flocking to online social networks: US study
San Francisco: While online social networks remain havens for the young, they are also becoming increasingly popular with the over 50 crowd in the United States, a study released Saturday showed.
"Young adults continue to be the heaviest users of social media, but their growth pales in comparison with recent gains made by older users," said Mary Madden, from the Pew Research Center`s Internet & American Life Project.
"Email is still the primary way that older users maintain contact with friends, families and colleagues, but many older users now rely on social network platforms to help manage their daily communications."
Nearly half of US Internet users ranging in age from 50 to 64 engaged in online communities such as Facebook, MySpace, or LinkedIn during the year that ended May 30, according to the study.
That marked an 88 percent increase from the prior year.
The ranks of online seniors 65 years of age or older using social networks doubled to 26 percent, the research indicated.
One in five "online adults" ages 50 to 64 claimed to use social networking websites daily, while 13 percent of "wired seniors" said they did so.
"Social media has the potential to bridge generational gaps," Madden said.
"There are few other spaces -- online or offline – where tweens, teens, sandwich generation members, grandparents, friends and neighbours regularly intersect and communicate across the same network."
Pew research showed that older social network users were inclined to reconnect with people from the past, potentially creating support networks for retiring or changing careers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon