Oz to ban bosses from accessing job seekers` Facebook accounts
Sydney: Under a potential change to Australia`s national privacy laws, bosses are likely to be banned from demanding access to job seekers` Facebook or other social media pages or accounts.
The Australian Law Reform Commission (ALRC) said that the use of social media accounts to assess candidates for work, education and other opportunities was an area of growing concern.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the commission is considering whether new laws are needed to allow people to sue for serious breaches of privacy.
The report said that it is deemed illegal to ask job seekers for social media passwords in 13 US states, including California and New Jersey, and other states are following suit.
The ALRC said that it may be appropriate to include such conduct as an example of a serious invasion of privacy for the purpose of a statutory cause of action or to amend laws dealing with workplace surveillance to prohibit such conduct.
The commission will release draft recommendations in late February and a final report at the end of June next year, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark