`Parents responsible for underage kids using Facebook`
London: Parents are responsible for the rising number of underage children in the United Kingdom owning a Facebook profile, according to experts.
Simon Milner, policy director for Facebook in the UK and Ireland, and Sonia Livingstone, professor of social psychology of the London School of Economics, have warned that parents are responsible for their children flouting the site`s under-13 restrictions either by helping children create accounts or by failing to stop them.
Milner admitted that there is no mechanism in Facebook to stop children lying about their ages while joining the site, even though the site has spot checks and a reporting system in an attempt to protect youngsters from viewing objectionable or mature content.
Milner said that Facebook cannot make every user prove their age because of the protests on the threats on privacy, adding that the site neither `condones` or `condemns` parents for their decisions.
According to Livingstone, 2011 figures show that 34 per cent of nine to 12-year-olds in the UK had a Facebook profile.
She added that parents need to be firmer with their children on the issue.
Milner said that the under-13 rule of Facebook was in place because of a children`s online privacy law of the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown