Parents should be familiar with sexting terms to check for online bullying: Expert
Johannesburg: A technology researcher has said that parents should be familiar with the sexting terms so as to keep a check on whether their children are exposed to sexting and subject to online bullying.
Aubrey Labuschagne from Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) said that parents should be aware of the different words within sexting content because it is of no use to have access to the mobile device of children but not knowing what to look for.
Common sexting terms include `8` which means oral sex, `cu46` meaning see you for sex, `NIFOC` (naked in front of the computer) and `PAW` meaning parent are watching.
According to the report, sexting is linked to online bullying where the perpetrator has a relationship of trust with the victim and the strategy is to blackmail the victim into sending a number of pornographic images for the promise of financial reward.
Labuschagne said that the risk is of online bullying via sexting is high and a possible route is to look to have full access to the child`s mobile device at random times, which is a two way trust relationship.
The researcher further explained that it was difficult for children who may not have adult coping skills to extricate themselves from such online bullying, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- It was Lalu who pulled and hugged me, will continue to fight corruption, clarifies Arvind Kejriwal