Pen drives main threat to cyber security: Army
New Delhi: Despite a ban, use of pen drives has emerged as the main threat to cyber security in defence forces as it is responsible for over 70 percent of such breaches in the three Services.
The use of pen drives as an easy-to-carry storage device has increased in the recent past and internal reports have confirmed that over 70 percent cyber security breaches in the armed forces are due to their unauthorised use, Army officials told here.
"These pen drives, which are mostly manufactured in China, have emerged as a big threat to our cyber security systems," they said.
Fresh cyber security guidelines have been issued by the Army headquarters to protect sensitive military networks from hacker attacks, sources said.
Measures have been taken by the other two services also to tighten their cyber security as IAF also recently issued instructions to its personnel warning them against having any official data on their personal computers and pen drives.
All personnel have been asked to declare their Information Technology assets and have been asked not to have any official data on them, IAF officials said here.
Anybody found violating these instructions in checks by cyber security personnel will draw strict action which may even amount to disciplinary action including court martial, they said.
When asked about the development, IAF spokesperson Wg Cdr Gerard Galway confirmed the steps taken by the Air headquarters to safeguard its cyber assets and secret information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! When an Indigo flight nearly landed on a road in Jaipur
- NEET: Now, World Psychiatric Association opposes National Eligibility and Entrance Test in regional languages - Know why
- Hundreds of Noida homebuyers left in the lurch as Supertech expressway project scrapped
- Check out Iulia Vantur’s latest Instagram post after statement clarifying marriage to Salman Khan
- IPL 2016, RCB vs GL: Challenge for Suresh Raina & Co to stop Virat Kohli's phenomenal run-scoring spree