Pentagon to tap into cloud computing
Washington: The US Department of Defense has released a cloud computing strategy, saying it will move the department`s current network applications from a cumbersome and costly set of application silos to an end-state designed to create a more agile and cost effective service environment.
In announcing the strategy Wednesday, the Pentagon said the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) has been named as the enterprise cloud service broker to help maintain mission assurance and information interoperability within this new strategy, reported Xinhua.
Cloud computing is the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the net to store, manage and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer.
"We are moving to an enterprise cloud environment that provides tangible benefits across the department by supporting the delivery of the joint information environment," said Teri Takai, defense department chief information officer.
"This strategy lays the groundwork, as part of the Joint Information Environment framework, for achieving cloud adoption within the department."
Takai said the strategy will "align with all department-wide information technology efficiency initiatives, federal data center consolidation and cloud computing efforts," aiming to improve mission effectiveness, increase IT efficiencies, and enhance cyber security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered