Pentagon to tap into cloud computing
Washington: The US Department of Defense has released a cloud computing strategy, saying it will move the department`s current network applications from a cumbersome and costly set of application silos to an end-state designed to create a more agile and cost effective service environment.
In announcing the strategy Wednesday, the Pentagon said the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) has been named as the enterprise cloud service broker to help maintain mission assurance and information interoperability within this new strategy, reported Xinhua.
Cloud computing is the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the net to store, manage and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer.
"We are moving to an enterprise cloud environment that provides tangible benefits across the department by supporting the delivery of the joint information environment," said Teri Takai, defense department chief information officer.
"This strategy lays the groundwork, as part of the Joint Information Environment framework, for achieving cloud adoption within the department."
Takai said the strategy will "align with all department-wide information technology efficiency initiatives, federal data center consolidation and cloud computing efforts," aiming to improve mission effectiveness, increase IT efficiencies, and enhance cyber security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what