`People updating Facebook status frequently claimed to be narcissists`
Washington: A new study has linked social media to narcissism.
According to a new University of Michigan study exploring how social media reflect and amplify the culture`s growing levels of narcissism, Facebook is a mirror and Twitter is a megaphone.
The study was conducted by U-M researchers Elliot Panek, Yioryos Nardis and Sara Konrath.
"Among young adult college students, we found that those who scored higher in certain types of narcissism posted more often on Twitter," Panek, who recently received his doctorate in communication studies from U-M and will join Drexel University this fall as a visiting fellow, said.
"But among middle-aged adults from the general population, narcissists posted more frequent status updates on Facebook," the researcher said.
According to Panek, Facebook serves narcissistic adults as a mirror.
"It`s about curating your own image, how you are seen, and also checking on how others respond to this image," he said.
"Middle-aged adults usually have already formed their social selves, and they use social media to gain approval from those who are already in their social circles," Panek said.
For narcissistic college students, the social media tool of choice is the megaphone of Twitter.
"Young people may overevaluate the importance of their own opinions," Panek said.
"Through Twitter, they`re trying to broaden their social circles and broadcast their views about a wide range of topics and issues," he added.
The study is published online in Computers in Human Behavior.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi