Personal computers `weak link` in cyber security: NTRO
New Delhi: Personal computers and other private users of data are "weak links" when it comes to implementing cyber security norms in the country and agencies working in this domain are trying to plug this "critical" area, National Technical Research Organisation said on Wednesday.
Chief of NTRO Alhad G Apte at a seminar here said computer and cyberspace applications should be made convenient for the users and "just putting restrictions" on the consumer could prove to be counter-productive as the individual may then skip firewall mechanisms and inadvertently expose himself/herself to hacking like attacks.
"The users who use personal computers...This is a weak link...We have to focus on this. The users of PCs are unaware as they are using the (computer) system for their own work but this is also opening a gate for compromise (of personal data)," Apte said while delivering the theme address on `protecting India`s critical cyber security infrastructure` organised under the banner of a two-day `Secure Cities 2013` conference.
He said that the cyber threat, hence, directly reaches inside the computer system and this is a "critical area as how to protect client machines (from spam, malware and hacking attacks."
The NTRO is the country`s premier scientific and intelligence gathering body and is one the largest stakeholders in the cyber security protection and defence mechanism of India.
Apte said Indian cyberspace policing agencies also need to have a "proper control" over the technology of the security systems that are brought here from various sources, a hint that a lot of hardware and software is procured from foreign shores.
"Indigenous efforts have to be promoted and we should have control over whatever technology we have," he said emphasising more home-grown technology innovations to cater to the country`s critical cyber and computer space should be made.
The NTRO Chairman said a lot of incidents in the cyber world go undetected and capabilities of the sleuthing agencies should be such that these should be "timely detected".
He also said the managements of private firms and other bodies should themselves engage in framing and executing the cyber security policy in their organisations and not just leave this task to their Information Technology (IT) teams.
"The security thing (in cyberspace) does not get proper support from the management and this should be changed," he said.
The former BARC scientist, who took over the reins of the NTRO in July this year, said in these days of cyber security no organisation working in this area can work in isolation and all the agencies should harmonise their efforts to ensure a safe working cyberspace in the country.
He said cyber threats in the Indian space will "keep on happening" but the agencies will have to develop resilience and expertise against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'