Phishing attacks cost Indian firms Rs 328 cr in Jul-Sep 2013
New Delhi: Indian companies lost around USD 53 million (about Rs 328 crore) due to phishing scams with the country facing over 3,750 attacks in July-September this year, making it the fourth most attacked nation globally, a report by leading IT services firm EMC said.
Globally, firms lost USD 1.7 billion on account of cyber criminals launching 1,25,212 phishing attacks in July- September 2013, witnessing a rise in attack volume compared to the second quarter, says Anti-Fraud Command Center`s (AFCC) fraud report for Q3 2013, prepared by EMC`s security division RSA.
RSA is a provider of security, risk and compliance management solutions for business acceleration.
Phishing involves sending emails purporting to be from reputable firms to unsuspecting individuals and also corporate entities to induce then in revealing personal and financial information like passwords, credit card numbers, etc.
"Total amount of losses incurred in third quarter of 2013 are USD 1.66 Billion. Brands in the US, the UK, India and Australia were targeted by almost 50 per cent of the phishing attacks in Q3 2013," the report said.
Firms in the US incurred a loss of over USD 882 million followed by Germany (USD 294 million), the UK (USD 133 million), India (USD 52.9 million), South Africa (USD 43 million) and others (USD 261 million), it added.
RSA ranked India fourth most targeted country by phishing attacks receiving 3 per cent of the total volume. Other countries targeted by phishing attacks were US (53 per cent), Germany (17 per cent), the UK (8 per cent) and South Africa (3 per cent), it said.
India ranks third in phishing attacks on brands with 7 per cent of the total volume worldwide. The US with 27 per cent tops the chart followed by the UK with 12 percent.
AFCC is a 24x7 war-room that detects, tracks, blocks and shuts down phishing, pharming and Trojan attacks perpetrated by online fraudsters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm