‘Photo alert’ posing ‘email-virus’ puts Facebook users at risk
London: Facebook users are reportedly at risk from a new virus, which is spreading through emails posing as photo alerts from the social network.
The emails have been reported to look exactly like Facebook’s own messages, which are sent to a user’s personal email accounts when they are tagged in a photo.
However, instead of the links in the emails leading to the referenced photo, they redirect the victim of the spam campaign to a site which tries to infect the person’s computer with malicious software, and a few seconds later the link will redirect the user one more time to Facebook.com.
“Be wary of emails claiming to be from Facebook, and saying that you have been tagged in a photograph,” The Telegraph quoted Graham Cluley of the British internet security firm Sophos, as warning.
“SophosLabs has intercepted a spammed-out email campaign, designed to infect recipients` computers with malware. If you click on the link in the email, you are not taken immediately to the real Facebook website,” he added.
Many users on the site may not have realised that their computer has been infected, but can spot the bogus emails as Facebook is misspelt as ‘Faceboook’, the report said.
“Even if you didn`t notice that ``Faceboook`` was spelt incorrectly, you could have seen by hovering your mouse over the link that it wasn`t going to take you directly to the genuine Facebook website,” Cluley said.
Facebook was unavailable for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll
- Throwback! Diana Penty’s Italian vacation pics will inspire you to visit the country
- Singer Shweta Pandit gets married to Italian beau Ivano Fucci