PMO changes Twitter handle, BJP cries foul
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s Office Tuesday changed its Twitter handle, six days before BJP leader Narendra Modi takes oath as the next prime minister, provoking the BJP to term it "disgraceful, unethical and illegal".
The Twitter handle, @PMOIndia, which was begun during the tenure of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was changed to @PMOIndiaArchive Tuesday.
The original @PMOIndia was left blank, minus text or any display picture. It had over 8,000 followers Tuesday night.
Bharatiya Janata Party spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi said: "Continuity in governance and all government assets is the hallmark of the Indian constitution".
"The Twitter account @PMOIndia is a national digital asset. It is disgraceful, unethical and illegal in the way the outgoing team handling the @PMOIndia Twitter account has conducted the transition of this national digital asset," she said.
Modi was Tuesday elected leader of the BJP parliamentary party. President Pranab Mukherjee named him the prime minister and invited him to take oath on Monday, May 26.
Pankaj Pachauri, media advisor to Manmohan Singh, tweeted: "This is an office account and the office continues to manage it. The handover is being facilitated."
Lekhi added that the BJP hoped for a smooth transition of the Twitter account and demanded that the Twitter handle of @PMOIndia "must become available to the new incoming government. @PMO is not a personal asset, it is a national asset".
Arvind Gupta, head of the BJP IT cell, posted his indignation: "By renaming @PMOIndia, it showed the world for a while India didn`t have a PM`s office, that there was lack in continuity."
"The process of transition of the PMO Twitter account has been ungraceful and unethical on part of the current establishment," he wrote.
"Hope better sense prevails and the outgoing PMO team archives the national digital asset as per established norms and legal procedures," he added.
Pachauri, in an earlier tweet, posted an advisory: "All our official communications are being archived according to the RTI Act. Copyrights and control remain with the office."
"The PMO is in touch with the Twitter office. We are surrendering the official account," an official source told IANS.
But the move provoked angry comments on Twitter.
"Why the outgoing team renamed @PMOIndia as @PMOIndiaArchive? Failed to understand the logic. It is supposed to be the official handle of PMO`s," posted Srikrishnaprasad G.
"This is very unprofessional of the outgoing PMO media team not to have handed over the digital assets. Come on guys leave with some grace," said Umakant Majhi.
Modi is among the most Twitter savvy of politicians, unlike Manmohan Singh. He has over four million followers on Twitter and has posted over 5,000 tweets so far.
The PMO account of Manmohan Singh, with his face as the display picture, has over 1.24 million followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM