Policies soon for engagement with social media, citizens
Hyderabad: The union ministry of communications and information technology is drafting a policy for use of social media by various departments and another for engaging citizens in designing government programmes, a top official said Thursday.
J. Satyanarayana, secretary, department of electronics and information technology, said the frameworks were at the draft stage and hoped that very soon they would come out as policies.
He was talking to reporters on the sidelines of an international conference on `Revisiting Internet governance lessons learnt and road ahead` being organized by the Institute of Global Internet Governance and Advocacy, NALSAR University of Law.
"We have created a draft framework for using the social media by various departments of government of India and the state governments," he said.
He noted that while some departments like Delhi Police have taken a lead, there is a need for all others to use the powerful medium effectively to enable people to interact and express their concerns or appreciation of their decisions.
Satyanarayana said there was no proposal under consideration at this stage to have a regulatory mechanism for social media in view of the recent incidents. "It is dialogue which is more important rather than regulation," he said in reply to a query.
"Our focus is on how to use social medium as a positive instrument. It is a powerful medium. There is a huge positive side. There may be some shortfalls here and there but we have to have a dialogue and correct them," he said when asked if the department would ask the social media like Google, Facebook and Twitter to tune their websites.
The ministry is drafting another framework to engage citizens in the design of various government programmes. This is aimed at plugging the gap between the field reality and what is being designed and planned.
The ministry already held consultations with civil society.
"We are hoping that very soon it would be published and then it would become a guiding factor for shaping various new schemes the government will be launching in future," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow