Predicting who you could befriend on Facebook!
London: You may think that it may not be impossible, but British researchers say they can predict who one could befriend on Facebook -- based on places one visits.
A team at the University of Cambridge says that its new approach that not only looks at friends of friends, but also the places people visit -- with weightings given to different places such as airports and gymnasiums.
"Essentially this is a way in which we can predict how people will make new friends. We know that we are likely to become friends with `friends of friends` but what we find is there are specific places which foster the creation of new friendships and that they have specific characteristics," team leader Salvatore Scellato was quoted by the British media.
The research looked at the problem from the perspective of a long-standing sociological theory that people who go to the same places may be similarly minded. That would make them individuals likely to form a connection with one another.
To test their theory, the researchers used data from four months at a relatively small but fast-growing website, called Gowalla. to see how social connections grew in that time.
"We discovered that about 30 per cent of all new social links appear among users that check-in to the same places.
Thus, these `place friends` represent disconnected users becoming direct connections.
"By combining place friends with friends-of-friends, we can make the prediction space about 15 times smaller and yet, cover 66 per cent of new social ties. It turns out that the properties of the places we interact can determine how likely we are to develop social ties.
"Offices, gyms and schools are more likely to aid development rather than other places such as football stadiums or airports. In those places, it`s highly unlikely people will develop a social connection," Scellato said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack