Rape threats putting pressure on Twitter to install `report abuse` button
London: Thousands of people have signed a petition that calls on Twitter to add a `report abuse` button.
The petition was brought after Caroline Criado-Perez, who successfully campaigned for women to be included on UK banknotes, faced a deluge of abuse and rape threats.
Ms Criado-Perez, from Rutland told the BBC that the form that allows Twitter users to report abuse is not adequate, asserting that the micro blogging site needs to be on the side of the victims.
The petition states that abuse on Twitter is common and frequently goes ignored.
It further says that the Twitter needs to recognise that its current reporting system is below required standards.
The petition added that the button should be accompanied by Twitter`s terms and conditions on abusive behaviour to reflect an awareness of the complexity of violence against women, and oppressions that women face.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them