Rape threats putting pressure on Twitter to install `report abuse` button
London: Thousands of people have signed a petition that calls on Twitter to add a `report abuse` button.
The petition was brought after Caroline Criado-Perez, who successfully campaigned for women to be included on UK banknotes, faced a deluge of abuse and rape threats.
Ms Criado-Perez, from Rutland told the BBC that the form that allows Twitter users to report abuse is not adequate, asserting that the micro blogging site needs to be on the side of the victims.
The petition states that abuse on Twitter is common and frequently goes ignored.
It further says that the Twitter needs to recognise that its current reporting system is below required standards.
The petition added that the button should be accompanied by Twitter`s terms and conditions on abusive behaviour to reflect an awareness of the complexity of violence against women, and oppressions that women face.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani
- Vijay Mallya to be declared PO if he doesn't turn up by July 27
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!