Rapid rise in malware in Jan-Mar quarter: McAfee
New Delhi: A rapid increase was seen in malicious software programmes, mainly those targetting users of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, in the January-March quarter this year, says a report.
The McAfee`s Threat Report of January-March 2013 which was released today, added that global spam attacks have doubled during the quarter.
"There has been a steady rise in mobile malware and a rapid increase in general malware, including Facebook malware threat Koobface, AutoRun malware and stealth malware that attacks the master boot record (MBR)," the report said.
Worldwide spam, which makes a comeback after more than a year of decline, doubled during the quarter, it added.
McAfee Labs found almost three times as many samples of Koobface as were seen in the previous quarter, which is a high point for the social networking worm that targets Facebook, Twitter and other social networking service users, it said.
"After three years of stagnation, spam e-mail volume rose dramatically. One significant element behind this growth in North America was the return of pump and dump spam campaigns, which targeted would-be investors hoping to capitalise on all-time equity market highs." it added.
The McAfee Labs report showed a continued increase in Android malware, malicious web URLs and overall malware samples.
In India, McAfee said users were affected by an advance fee fraud facilitated by Android/Fakejoboffer.
Advance-fee fraud convinces people that they have won a prize and collecting this prize requires only a nominal fee. People lose this advance fee because the prize or item doesn`t exist, it said.
In a similar manner, people receive `Fakejoboffer` containing job interview letter, which says they have been selected for a job interview and they should pay for their travel expenses to get to the interview venue, it added.
The victims are told that they will be reimbursed for their ticket costs when they arrive at the (non-existent) interview venue, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA