Rapid rise in malware in Jan-Mar quarter: McAfee
New Delhi: A rapid increase was seen in malicious software programmes, mainly those targetting users of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, in the January-March quarter this year, says a report.
The McAfee`s Threat Report of January-March 2013 which was released today, added that global spam attacks have doubled during the quarter.
"There has been a steady rise in mobile malware and a rapid increase in general malware, including Facebook malware threat Koobface, AutoRun malware and stealth malware that attacks the master boot record (MBR)," the report said.
Worldwide spam, which makes a comeback after more than a year of decline, doubled during the quarter, it added.
McAfee Labs found almost three times as many samples of Koobface as were seen in the previous quarter, which is a high point for the social networking worm that targets Facebook, Twitter and other social networking service users, it said.
"After three years of stagnation, spam e-mail volume rose dramatically. One significant element behind this growth in North America was the return of pump and dump spam campaigns, which targeted would-be investors hoping to capitalise on all-time equity market highs." it added.
The McAfee Labs report showed a continued increase in Android malware, malicious web URLs and overall malware samples.
In India, McAfee said users were affected by an advance fee fraud facilitated by Android/Fakejoboffer.
Advance-fee fraud convinces people that they have won a prize and collecting this prize requires only a nominal fee. People lose this advance fee because the prize or item doesn`t exist, it said.
In a similar manner, people receive `Fakejoboffer` containing job interview letter, which says they have been selected for a job interview and they should pay for their travel expenses to get to the interview venue, it added.
The victims are told that they will be reimbursed for their ticket costs when they arrive at the (non-existent) interview venue, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA