`Respond to complaints against objectionable content in 36hrs`
New Delhi: Internet based companies or websites must respond to a complaint against objectionable content within thirty six hours of receiving it, the government has clarified.
The clarification by the IT Ministry was issued following request of some industry associations on The Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules, 2011, which provides rules that are applicable on internet based companies like social networking sites, internet service providers etc.
"...Clarification on the words ...Shall act within thirty-six hours". The government has clarified that the intended meaning of the said words is that the intermediary shall respond or acknowledge to the complainant within thirty six hours of receiving the complaint/grievances about any such information," a source said.
The government in the rule said has said an intermediary, which is the entity whose resource has been used for accessing internet or putting content on internet, should act within "thirty six hours and where applicable, work with user or owner of such information to disable such information" after information on objectionable content has brought to notice.
The rule was widely criticised by section of internet based companies citing limitation of resources to check such kind of activities by users.
Government, however, has not made any reference to the time limit of resolving complaint which as per rules remains one month from the date of receipt of complaint, the source added.
A ministry official said the time to redress complaint remains unchanged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Fed up with heavy school bags, two students hold press meet to narrate woes - READ
- Have you seen Meher Malik's hot belly dance moves on 'Beat Pe Booty'? Watch now!
- Ravichandran Ashwin surpasses Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Kapil Dev in most 'Man of the Series' awards
- Nigerian Air Force says kills top Boko Haram militants, leader believed wounded
- Amar Singh threatens to quit Samajwadi Party over insult by party leaders