Rising number of Indian users access Facebook via mobile
Hyderabad: An increasing number of Indian users of Facebook access the social networking site through the mobile thanks to a higher penetration, a top official of the social networking site here today.
While for other countries it was the desktop which was first used to get in to the portal, in case of India it was the mobile phone, said Kirthiga Reddy, Director-Online Operations and Head of Office-India, Facebook.
"Because if you think about it in US, most of the people started on desktop and moved to mobile. It is India that is causing us to rethink our model. Because many people are going to Facebook first on mobile and they might never go to desktop again," Reddy said on the sidelines of a seminar.
She said the situation prompted Facebook to come out with many innovations so that the site can be accessed through any mobile phone.
Reddy also said currently language translation is available in eight languages (for India users) in Facebook.
Replying to a query, she said as per studies children below 13 are accessing Facebook when their parents are using the site.
"Our policy is that children below 13 years of age are not allowed...We have taken that very seriously. Anytime someone is being reported being under 13 (of age), we immediately look into that and take action. There is a lot of education and initiatives we engage in," she added.
Facebook had a user-base of 8 million when it started its office in India in 2010. It has grown to 50 million users since then, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed