Rushdie wins `battle of name` with Facebook
New York: India-born British novelist Salman Rushdie has reportedly won a conflict with the popular social networking site, Facebook, which deactivated his account over
a confusion about his real name.
Rushdie wrote on micro-blogging site `Twitter` that Facebook deactivated his account, demanded proof of identity, and then turned him into Ahmed Rushdie, which is how he is
identified on his passport.
He had never used his first name, Ahmed, he tweeted; and the world knows him as Salman, `The New York Times` reported.
"Where are you hiding, Mark?" he demanded of Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook`s founder, in one post. "Come out here and give me back my name!" the 64-year-old author tweeted.
The Twitterverse took up his cause. Within two hours, Rushdie gleefully declared victory: "Facebook has buckled! I`m Salman Rushdie again. I feel SO much better. An identity crisis at my age is no fun."
Though Facebook didn`t explain how it happened but admitted it was a mistake. "We apologise for the inconvenience this caused him," the popular social networking site said in a statement.
An elated Rushdie tweeted: "Just received an apology from The #Facebook Team. All is sweetness and light."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog