Russian social network blacklisted by mistake
Moscow: Vkontakte, Russia`s biggest social networking website, was put on a state registry of blacklisted websites by mistake Friday, an official said.
"This was a mistake. Our employee put a tick in the wrong place," said Vladimir Pikov, spokesman for Russia`s telecom watchdog Roskomnadzor.
"We will remove VKontakte from the registry and it should be accessible for everyone."
Some 40 million people every day use VKontakte, often referred to as "Russia`s Facebook".
A law creating a register of blacklisted websites containing what the authorities deem "harmful content" was approved by the Russian parliament in July 2012.
Under the law, the authorities can block access to sites containing child pornography, drug-related material, extremism and details about how to commit suicide. No court order is needed to block access.
Other sites containing offensive material can be shut down by a court order.
Rights groups condemned the registry, which has been up and running since November, as an attempt to crack down on internet freedom.
Roskomnadzor has in the past temporarily blocked access to Google and YouTube due to "technical errors".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you