Russian watchdog slams Google over suicide videos
Moscow: Russian consumer rights watchdog has hit out at search engine Google and YouTube over what it called online suicide instruction videos.
"Google Russia and YouTube LLC express their position based solely on a threat to the freedom of access to information on the Internet," the Rospotrebnadzor watchdog said in a statement.
The watchdog`s statement came after YouTube, Google`s video sharing unit, filed a lawsuit against Rospotrebnadzor over a decision to block a video containing alleged "harmful" material. A preliminary hearing into the case began Friday.
The watchdog said the video contained instructions on how to commit suicide and violated Russian law on the protection of children from harmful material.
Google said the law could be used to limit access to other forms of content.
Rospotrebnadzor also stressed while the production and promotion of videos promoting drugs and pornography is punishable under Russia`s Criminal Code, the distribution of videos encouraging suicide is not a criminal offence.
The watchdog has cracked down recently on websites containing suicide-related materials, blaming them for the alarmingly high numbers of suicides among Russian teens.
The UN says around 1,700 Russian teenagers aged 15-19 take their lives every year.
Google Russia and YouTube LLC could not be immediately reached for comment Monday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam