Shakuntala Devi honoured by calculator-styled Google doodle
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Today Google celebrates the 84th birth anniversary of mathematical genius Shakuntala Devi with its customary doodle. Shakuntala Devi, popularly known as the "Human Computer", was a child prodigy and mental calculator who had the remarkable ability to mentally solve complex mathematical problems. Google paid its tribute to her with a calculator font and her smiling picture.
Hailing from a humble family in Bangalore, she received no formal education. Shakuntala Devi`s father was a circus performer who did trapeze, tightrope and cannonball shows. Her father discovered her amazing ability to memorize numbers while teaching her a card trick when she was only three years old. Thereafter he left the circus and took her on road shows that displayed her ability at number crunching.
Possessing amazing memory powers,she had the ability to tell the day of the week of any given date in the last century in an instant. In 1977 in USA, Shakuntala Devi competed with a computer to see who gives the cube root of 188132517 faster and she won. Similarly on June 18, 1980, Shakuntala Devi demonstrated the multiplication of two 13-digit numbers 7,686,369,774,870 × 2,465,099,745,779 picked at random by the Computer Department of Imperial College, London. She answered 18,947,668,177,995,426,462,773,730 in 28 seconds which is correct.
Gradually, owing to her tremendous mathematical abilities, Shakuntala Devi earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. Further she also wrote numerous books like `Fun with Numbers`, `Astrology for You`, `Puzzles to Puzzle You`, and `Mathablit`.
Shakuntala Devi recently passed away on April 21, 2013 in a hospital in Bangalore from complications of the heart and kidneys at the age of 83.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla