Smiley face to turn 30 on September 19
London: Emoticon, the small yellow icons without which many of the SMS’ and e-mails are incomplete, will turn 30 on September 19.
On 19, September 1982 at 11:44 a.m., Professor Scott Fahlman of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, sent an email on an online electronic bulletin board that included the first use of the sideways smiley face.
“I propose the following character sequence for joke markers: :-) Read it sideways,” the Daily Mail quoted him, as writing at that time.
His aim was simple: to allow those who posted on the university’s bulletin board to distinguish between those attempting to write funny emails and those who weren’t, as he had seen how simple jokes were often misunderstood.
Fahlman, a computer science researcher who still works at the university, said he was surprised that his smiley face took the world by storm.
Once, he sent the email featuring the emoticon’s predecessor, and it wasn’t long before it spread to other universities and research labs via the primitive computer networks of the day.
Today, dozens of variations of the emoticons are available, mainly as little yellow, computer graphics. Some emoticons wear sunglasses, other’s cry, while some don Santa hats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what