Soon, your walk can be your new password
New York: Scientists are advancing biometrics security systems a step further by developing `biosoles` that can recognise you based upon your unique walk.
Researchers from the Carnegie Mellon University`s Biometrics Research and Identity Automation Lab are developing new ways to enable security based on body`s movements, which, unlike retinal scans and fingerprints, can`t be taken from an individual, the New York Daily News reported.
The new discipline called "pedo-biometrics" uses a "BioSole" inserted into shoes to assess a wearer`s gait, matching that distinctive pattern against an existing record to verify the person`s identity.
Biometrics have a decided advantage over passwords because they don`t rely on users` ability to remember them, the system identifies users based on something they are, for example with a retina or fingerprint scan.
Most authentication systems need "things you know", but more advanced systems need "things you are", explained NBC News.
Fingerprints and retina scans fall into the latter category but can still be penetrated - by amputating the corresponding body part.
The university is teaming up with Autonomous ID, a company based in Ottawa, Canada, to create passwords based on behavioural validation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog