Soon, your walk can be your new password
New York: Scientists are advancing biometrics security systems a step further by developing `biosoles` that can recognise you based upon your unique walk.
Researchers from the Carnegie Mellon University`s Biometrics Research and Identity Automation Lab are developing new ways to enable security based on body`s movements, which, unlike retinal scans and fingerprints, can`t be taken from an individual, the New York Daily News reported.
The new discipline called "pedo-biometrics" uses a "BioSole" inserted into shoes to assess a wearer`s gait, matching that distinctive pattern against an existing record to verify the person`s identity.
Biometrics have a decided advantage over passwords because they don`t rely on users` ability to remember them, the system identifies users based on something they are, for example with a retina or fingerprint scan.
Most authentication systems need "things you know", but more advanced systems need "things you are", explained NBC News.
Fingerprints and retina scans fall into the latter category but can still be penetrated - by amputating the corresponding body part.
The university is teaming up with Autonomous ID, a company based in Ottawa, Canada, to create passwords based on behavioural validation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!