Spain watchdog fines Google for privacy `violations`
Madrid: Spain`s data protection watchdog ordered US Internet giant Google to pay a 900,000-euro fine for "serious violations" of users` privacy.
The Spanish Data Protection Agency yesterday accused the popular search provider of "illegal processing of personal data" obtained from users of various services such as Google email accounts.
"Google unlawfully collects and processes personal information" of users, the Spanish agency said in a statement.
"The agency considers that Google seriously violates the right to the protection of personal data."
It also accused Google of keeping the data for longer than is legally justified and of making it difficult for users to query the use of their data.
Google spokespeople could not immediately be reached to comment to AFP yesterday but El Pais newspaper quoted the company as saying it had been "totally involved" in the agency`s investigations.
It would "read the report carefully and then decide what steps to take next", the newspaper quoted Google as saying.
The Spanish authority launched proceedings against Google in June. In September, France too said it would take action against the company, accusing it of breaching privacy norms.
Authorities in Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Britain have also opened parallel procedures against Google.
The Spanish agency said it was the first of these six authorities to make a final decision on action against the US giant.
The European Union warned Google in October 2012 that its new data protection procedures did not comply with an EU directive on the subject and gave the company four months to change them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity
- WATCH: On this day, destructive AB de Villiers smashed Dale Steyn for 23 runs in one over
- JD(U) member of Rajya Sabha raises issue of paucity of judges