Spain watchdog fines Google for privacy `violations`
Madrid: Spain`s data protection watchdog ordered US Internet giant Google to pay a 900,000-euro fine for "serious violations" of users` privacy.
The Spanish Data Protection Agency yesterday accused the popular search provider of "illegal processing of personal data" obtained from users of various services such as Google email accounts.
"Google unlawfully collects and processes personal information" of users, the Spanish agency said in a statement.
"The agency considers that Google seriously violates the right to the protection of personal data."
It also accused Google of keeping the data for longer than is legally justified and of making it difficult for users to query the use of their data.
Google spokespeople could not immediately be reached to comment to AFP yesterday but El Pais newspaper quoted the company as saying it had been "totally involved" in the agency`s investigations.
It would "read the report carefully and then decide what steps to take next", the newspaper quoted Google as saying.
The Spanish authority launched proceedings against Google in June. In September, France too said it would take action against the company, accusing it of breaching privacy norms.
Authorities in Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Britain have also opened parallel procedures against Google.
The Spanish agency said it was the first of these six authorities to make a final decision on action against the US giant.
The European Union warned Google in October 2012 that its new data protection procedures did not comply with an EU directive on the subject and gave the company four months to change them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you