Spain watchdog fines Google for privacy `violations`
Madrid: Spain`s data protection watchdog ordered US Internet giant Google to pay a 900,000-euro fine for "serious violations" of users` privacy.
The Spanish Data Protection Agency yesterday accused the popular search provider of "illegal processing of personal data" obtained from users of various services such as Google email accounts.
"Google unlawfully collects and processes personal information" of users, the Spanish agency said in a statement.
"The agency considers that Google seriously violates the right to the protection of personal data."
It also accused Google of keeping the data for longer than is legally justified and of making it difficult for users to query the use of their data.
Google spokespeople could not immediately be reached to comment to AFP yesterday but El Pais newspaper quoted the company as saying it had been "totally involved" in the agency`s investigations.
It would "read the report carefully and then decide what steps to take next", the newspaper quoted Google as saying.
The Spanish authority launched proceedings against Google in June. In September, France too said it would take action against the company, accusing it of breaching privacy norms.
Authorities in Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Britain have also opened parallel procedures against Google.
The Spanish agency said it was the first of these six authorities to make a final decision on action against the US giant.
The European Union warned Google in October 2012 that its new data protection procedures did not comply with an EU directive on the subject and gave the company four months to change them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Bleaching kills 35 percent of coral in Great Barrier Reef
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money