Spelling mistakes and bad grammar may be key to choosing good password
London: Birthdays, pet names and your place of birth are already huge no-nos when choosing a password, but researchers have claimed that the key to finding more secure code could be straightforward - just don`t use good grammar or spelling.
Ashwini Rao and colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University researched the current generation of password cracking systems.
They found that many people, on being asked to choose longer passwords, made them just as easy to guess, the Daily Mail reported.
"Use of long sentence-like or phrase-like passwords such as `abiggerbetterpassword` and `thecommunistfairy` is increasing," the researchers said.
The researchers said that other types of familiar structures like postal addresses, email addresses and URLs may also make for less secure passwords, even if they are long.
They said bad grammar can make a huge difference, as hackers are increasingly searching for passwords using correct grammar and spellings in `brute force` attacks that simply run through combinations of words in a dictionary.
Incorrect spelling and grammar can fool many of these attacks, the team found.
They found that in general, asking users for longer passwords didn`t work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video