Squiggly lines on screens could be future of passwords
Washington: Researchers are exploring the security and memorability of free-form gestures as passwords.
A new Rutgers University study shows that free-form gestures - sweeping fingers in shapes across the screen of a smart phone or tablet - can be used to unlock phones and grant access to apps.
These gestures are less likely than traditional typed passwords or newer "connect-the-dots" grid exercises to be observed and reproduced by "shoulder surfers" who spy on users to gain unauthorized access.
Janne Lindqvist, one of the leaders of the project and an assistant professor in the School of Engineering`s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, said all it takes to steal a password is a quick eye, adding that with all the personal and transactional information they have on their phones today, improved mobile security is becoming increasingly critical.
In developing a secure solution to this problem, Lindqvist and the other researchers from Rutgers and collaborators from Max-Planck Institute for Informatics, including Antti Oulasvirta , and University of Helsinki studied the practicality of using free-form gestures for access authentication.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside