Students` judge professors based on their Facebook profiles: Study
Washington: More than 800 million people worldwide use Facebook, and 93 percent of college students have an active account on the social networking site, according to a recent estimate.
As both students and faculty on college campuses increasingly use Facebook as a means of communication, the sharing of personal information, likes and dislikes, or religious and political beliefs, for example, may affect what students think of professors and expect from their classes.
This phenomenon is explored in a study published in Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, a peer-reviewed journal from Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers.
In "Professors` Facebook Content Affects Students` Perceptions and Expectations", Merry Sleigh and co-authors described the reactions of undergraduates who viewed fictitious Facebook profiles created for a male professor.
Each student randomly viewed one of six different profiles designed to represent the professor as being either politically conservative or liberal, religious, family or socially oriented, or professional.
The results of the study indicate that the professors` Facebook profiles did affect students` perceptions, but did not affect their course decisions.
The authors describe how the students` perceptions of the professors changed depending on whether the professor appeared to be more or less socially oriented and politically liberal or conservative.
Students used the professors` Facebook content to make assumptions about how friendly, skilled, and respected by their colleagues they are and how difficult their class would be.
"It is clear that others form perceptions of us based on what we disclose," Brenda K. Wiederhold, PhD, MBA, BCIA, Editor-in-Chief of Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, from the Interactive Media Institute, San Diego, CA, said.
"As Facebook continues to evolve, we must remain cognizant of what we self-disclose," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months