Swarm of ping pong ball-sized robots developed
Washington: A team of researchers has developed a basic robotic building block, which they hope to reproduce in large quantities to develop increasingly complex systems.
University of Colorado Boulder Assistant Professor Nikolaus Correll likes to think in multiples – if one robot can accomplish a singular task, think how much more could be accomplished if you had hundreds of them.
Recently, Correll and his computer science research team, including research associate Dustin Reishus and professional research assistant Nick Farrow, created a swarm of 20 robots each the size of a pingpong ball, which they call “droplets.”
When the droplets swarm together, Correll said, they form a “liquid that thinks.”
To accelerate the pace of innovation, he has created a lab where students can explore and develop new applications of robotics with basic, inexpensive tools.
Similar to the fictional “nanomorphs” depicted in the “Terminator” films, large swarms of intelligent robotic devices could be used for a range of tasks.
Swarms of robots could be unleashed to contain an oil spill or to self-assemble into a piece of hardware after being launched separately into space, Correll said.
Correll plans to use the droplets to demonstrate self-assembly and swarm-intelligent behaviours like pattern recognition, sensor-based motion and adaptive shape change. These behaviours could then be transferred to large swarms for water- or air-based tasks.
He hopes to create a design methodology for aggregating the droplets into more complex behaviours such as assembling parts of a large space telescope or an aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof