Syrian Electronic Army hackers claim to capture Facebook.com
San Francisco: Hacker group Syrian Electronic Army claimed to have seized the Facebook.Com online address in what it joked was a belated birthday greeting.
"Happy Birthday Mark," SEA yesterday said in a message fired off from its Twitter account. "Facebook owned by #SEA."
Facebook said that no traffic to the website was hijacked, and that no users of the social network were affected.
The company`s famed co-founder, Mark Zuckerberg, embraces the creative side of hacker culture when it comes to software innovation.
Facebook`s campus in the California city of Menlo Park even has a vanity address of One Hacker Way.
While SEA claimed to have taken control of Facebook`s online domain it was unclear whether it was just in the records of registrar MarkMonitor or if some control of pages had been obtained.
"We changed the name servers, but it is taking too much time," SEA said in a follow-up tweet.
Facebook marked its 10th anniversary on Tuesday, and Zuckerberg referred to the company`s evolution as an "amazing journey" in a post on his profile page at the leading social network.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
- Draft Bill for statehood of Delhi is ready: CM Arvind Kejriwal