Syrian Electronic Army hackers claim to capture Facebook.com
San Francisco: Hacker group Syrian Electronic Army claimed to have seized the Facebook.Com online address in what it joked was a belated birthday greeting.
"Happy Birthday Mark," SEA yesterday said in a message fired off from its Twitter account. "Facebook owned by #SEA."
Facebook said that no traffic to the website was hijacked, and that no users of the social network were affected.
The company`s famed co-founder, Mark Zuckerberg, embraces the creative side of hacker culture when it comes to software innovation.
Facebook`s campus in the California city of Menlo Park even has a vanity address of One Hacker Way.
While SEA claimed to have taken control of Facebook`s online domain it was unclear whether it was just in the records of registrar MarkMonitor or if some control of pages had been obtained.
"We changed the name servers, but it is taking too much time," SEA said in a follow-up tweet.
Facebook marked its 10th anniversary on Tuesday, and Zuckerberg referred to the company`s evolution as an "amazing journey" in a post on his profile page at the leading social network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold