Tech industry’s secret meeting on open Internet
London: Some of the biggest names in technology are holding a closed-door meeting to discuss the future of open Internet – which has caused a public uproar amongst net neutrality supporters.
According to the BBC, the meeting follows the publication of a controversial plan by Google and Verizon that could allow net providers certain types of Internet traffic to be given priority over others.
The scheme was announced after the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) halted its own private sessions with Internet companies and broadband providers to thrash out a consensus on the thorny subject of net neutrality.
Some Internet service providers have said that the rise in Internet traffic is putting an ever growing burden on the infrastructure of the net and so, they should be able to charge more for heavy Internet traffic or users or to carry traffic for bandwidth intensive services such as web video.
But critics said that the move could stifle innovation, while proponents argue that it would pave the way for a two tiered Internet, where the ability to pay would determine what services people could access.
"This new effort will build on that work to arrive at something that can achieve both public and private sector support and strike the balance of encouraging continued innovation and investment in the Internet," said the Council`s president Dean Garfield.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'