Teens increasingly preferring WhatsApp over Facebook
London: Facebook is reportedly witnessing a decrease in its daily users, especially teens, who have started to prefer mobile messaging apps like WhatsApp and WeChat, over the social networking giant.
Facebook admitted that it was a decrease in daily teen users, indicating that they are still on the site but not using it as much.
According to a news website, the mass exodus from the social networking giant is attributed to the coming of messaging apps like WhatsApp, WeChat and KakaoTalk, which host free instant messages through a phone`s data connection.
Unlike Facebook, these apps promote dynamic real-time chatting with different groups of real-life friends, because one gets to connect with people who already exist in their phone book.
WhatsApp, established in 2009, is the biggest messaging app in the world by users, with more than 350 million monthly active users globally, putting Twitter`s 218 million users behind.
The report said that since apps like these shun advertising, provide a more private sharing space like in SnapChat, and some like Kakao Talk offer services other than simple messaging or photo sharing, which includes gaming and music sharing.
However, these Asian apps are yet to woo the US users because of the stylized nature of their interfaces, vivid colours, characters and lettering, as the market there is used to being a little more subdued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note