Ten most commonly used internet passwords
London: A data security firm has unveiled the ten most commonly used passwords on the web.
To reach the conclusion, Imperva analysed around 32 million passwords that had been exposed in a recent hack of the RockYou website.
Last year a hacker had breached the site`s company database, gaining access to the unencrypted usernames and passwords of all its 32 million users.
Now, after studying the breach the firm has come up with a list of the most commonly used passwords which website users should avoid, reports The Telegraph.
“Everyone needs to understand what the combination of poor passwords means in today’s world of automated cyber attacks: with only minimal effort, a hacker can gain access to one new account every second—or 1000 accounts every 17 minutes,” said Amichai Shulman, Imperva’s chief technical officer.
“Employees using the same passwords on Facebook that they use in the workplace bring the possibility of compromising enterprise systems with insecure passwords, especially if they are using easy to crack passwords like ‘123456’,” he added.
“The problem has changed very little over the past 20 years. It’s time for everyone to take password security seriously; it’s an important first step in data security,” he said.
The ten most commonly used passwords analysed in the study were:
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India