Thousands of PCs may lose Internet access tomorrow
New Delhi: Thousands of computers in India, which are hit by a malicious virus DNSChanger, may lose Internet access from Monday, according to Web security firm McAfee.
DNSChanger is a malware computer programme that redirects Internet traffic to fake websites.
These affected machines are likely lose Web access as FBI will shut down servers associated with the DNSChanger malware on July 9. As a result, it is likely that all computers infected with this threat will no longer be able to access the Internet, a McAfee spokesperson said.
Last year, the FBI, as a part of `Operation Ghost Click`, took control of the servers used by the cybercriminals. FBI then replaced the rogue servers with temporary legitimate servers so as not to disrupt the web activities of those infected.
However, these servers were allowed only till July 9, 2012.
Quoting data from DNS Changer Working Group, a McAfee spokesperson said India has the third highest number of DNS infections after the US and Italy.
According to the data by DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG), there are nearly 300,000 infected systems globally, with a maximum of over 69,500 such system in the US.
Italy with about 26,500 infected systems is at the second place, followed by India (21,300) and the UK (19,589).
An Indian Computer Emergency Response Team official said that "around 50,000 computers in India were found infected with DNSChanger malware. Over half of them have been cleaned. We are still tracing infected computers. Systems that are still infected will face problem in accessing Internet."
DCWG is an independent group of security experts trying to stem out the DNS Changer malware.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack