Top 100 dangerous websites revealed
Melbourne: Internet security company Norton Symantec has come up with a list of Top 100 dirtiest sites, which could infect your computer with malware.
Malware is a software that can damage or compromise a computer system without the owner``s consent.
Natalie Connor, spokeswoman of the anti-virus company, said that even visiting any of the named websites could expose a computer to infection and put the personal information into the hands of unwanted people.
"What people don`t realise is when you type in a website, you`re bringing down information on a page and with it could be malware," News.com.au quoted her as saying.
The list was compiled with the help of global data collected on Norton Safe Web, a site that analysed websites`` security risks.
The infected sites had on average 18,000 threats and 40 percent of the sites had more than 20,000 threats, while 75 percent of websites on the list were found to be spreading malware for over six months.
According to Connor, most websites in the list had adult content with unprintable names, suggesting they contained hardcore pornography.
Some others sites include those on ice skating, deer hunting, catering and legal services.
Hackers can apparently obtain personal information using keystroke-logging software from both PCs and Mac computers.
The reps said that hackers are a force to reckon with as cyber crime is increasing rapidly.
She added: "The last thing we want to do is scare people, we want to educate them so they know how to protect themselves.
"It`s not about the fame any more of creating viruses and getting in the media. They`re making money."
Norton released a sample of the dirtiest websites:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday