Top Hungary court backs clampdown on internet comments
Budapest: A top Hungarian court ruled Wednesday that website operators are responsible for abusive internet comments made on pages under their control, even if the questionable statements are moderated or removed on request.
The EU member`s constitutional court rejected a complaint by the Association of Hungarian Content Providers (MTE) -- whose members include popular online news sites -- against an earlier supreme court ruling.
The supreme court had said some "below-the-line" comments about a real estate company advertising on an MTE webpage were "humiliating" and "crossed the boundaries of free speech".
On Wednesday, the constitutional court upheld the ruling that operators should be responsible for comments on their websites, even if they are moderated or removed immediately on request.
"The internet is not a lawless space, responsibility must be taken," it said in a statement.
The Hungarian Civil Liberties Union (TASZ) however said the ruling meant "unconditional responsibility" for website operators.
That will make it risky to allow any commentary at all on websites, TASZ said, adding that it would restrict political debate, and have a "chilling effect" on freedom of speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read