Turkish court reverses Twitter ban after lawsuit over political freedom of speech challenged
Washington: Almost a week of ban in Turkey, microblogging site Twitter filed a lawsuit against the country`s government for restricting political freedom of speech, compelling the court to stay execution of the ban.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan had ruled the ban after evidences against him related to corruption popped on Twitter and were being shared widely.
However, Twitter presented shocking documents detailing the order to remove the account that accused the prime minister of corruption prompting the court to issue a stay of execution on the ban.
The country`s legal system issued the stay citing the Turkish Constitution and the European Convention of Human Rights` protections for freedom of expression and communication.
Twitter`s general counsel Vijaya Gadde welcomed the ruling and expects that the government would restore Turkish users` access to Twitter immediately, so that users could continue an open online dialogue ahead of the elections to be held at the end of this week.
The report said that if the government doesn`t abide by the court ruling, Turkish Twitter users would likely continue to use creative ways around the ban like using SMS tweets and anonymous browsing softwares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in