Twitter blames system failures for site crash on Olympics eve
London: Micro-blogging website Twitter has blamed systems failures after the social site reportedly crashed due to heavy traffic and unidentified problems on the eve of London 2012 Olympics.
"I wish I could say that today``s outage could be explained by the Olympics or even a cascading bug. Instead, it was due to this infrastructural double-whammy,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Mazen Rawashdeh, Vice President of engineering, as saying in a statement.
He also apologised for giving its users "zilch" instead of the service, and said that the company is "investing aggressively" in its systems to avoid a repeat situation.
Over millions of people across the world were unable to access the site for more than an hour, after the problems were first reported at 4.30 p.m., but services were largely restored by 5.15 p.m.
Users who incurred the problem on Thursday were greeted with a half-formed message saying that "Twitter is currently down” and the fields where a reason for the outage and a deadline for service restoration should have been were filled with computer code.
The San Francisco-based company said the outage was caused by a "noteworthy" double failure in its data centers, when two its systems coincidentally stopped working at around the same time.
Last month Twitter had faced a similar problem, for which it blamed a "cascading bug" that drove frustrated users to other social media sites to complain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?